Counter

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

YOUR MINDSET MATTERS


Yesterday I saw this post by a Facebook friend: “I am expecting great things today.” I don’t know how her day turned out, but I am guessing it was better than most because our mindset matters. Our attitude and approach towards each day does make a difference. Also yesterday I heard someone share the illustration of the millionaire who went bankrupt, only to become a millionaire again. How does it happen that for one person a setback becomes an insurmountable obstacle and for another person it becomes an opportunity to make an amazing comeback? I believe a lot of it has to do with a person’s mindset.

The success gurus, the people who write the books, produce infomercials and hold seminars, often focus a great amount of attention on developing the right kind of mindset. They do so because your mindset matters. 

Personally, I believe there are limitations to what can be achieved by a proper and positive mindset. In my opinion the success gurus frequently go too far. They say things like: “You can be [do] whatever you set your mind to.” Or “You can create the life of your dreams.” I once heard Zig Zigler, the master motivator and teacher explain his positive approach towards life from his perspective as a follower of Christ: “A positive attitude will enable you to accomplish what God has planned for your life. A positive attitude will not enable you to do more than God planned, but a negative attitude will keep you from doing what God has planned for your life.” So true!

I am sure there are times when I’ve sabotaged God’s plans for my day because I didn’t choose the right mindset. Instead of rising above the crud and challenges in my life, I caved in to them, and became mired in a mindset of negativity and hopelessness. The only good which can come from the wrong mindset is if it draws (forces?) me closer to Jesus and brings me to a place of humility. 

Having a right mindset towards our day doesn’t mean we have to deny there are challenges to be faced. In my life experience, there are very few, if any, days where it’s a free skate. By that I mean, a day where there will be no obstacles or opposition. Therefore, we have to make a daily choice regarding our mindset. Personally, I am choosing to expect the favor and faithfulness of God to follow me throughout my day. “I’m expecting great things today.”

Additional Thought: There is a saying which sounds biblical but it’s not: “For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” It seems to be a rough paraphrase of Proverbs 23:7, but I don’t know when or where it first originated. There’s no doubt that our thoughts are very powerful and a right mindset or a wrong mindset can have a profound influence in our lives. At the same time, we should never fall into the trap of thinking that we have the power to create. There is only one Creator.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true, PMR. I was just meditating this morning on Romans 8:28 and thinking that 'God works ALL things to the good of those who love him'and that includes all the crud that happens. If we choose to, we can view obstacles as opportunities that allow God to shape and mold us into being more like Him. When we do that our mindset is bound to be better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete