Counter

Saturday, January 1, 2011

WITH THANKSGIVING

Yeah, I know it's New Year's Day and not Thanksgiving, but I want to consider the topic of "thanksgiving" in today's blog. In last Sunday's teaching on THE AMAZING GIFT OF PEACE, I drew upon Philippians 4:6 (NAS): "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." To be honest, I have disregarded this wise counsel from Paul far too often.The way I have done this is by not including thanksgiving in my prayers. So, what happens is the content of my prayer is basically me describing for God my need. I know He is all-knowing, but if I tell him how bad things are, or how long I've been waiting for him to do what only he can do, maybe it will somehow help to get him to hurry up. And I am not above sharing some of my wisdom with God, by including in my prayers the specifics of how my needs could best be met. Humbly speaking, I have given God some great advice over the years! When I follow Paul's counsel, and include thanksgiving in my prayers, it makes a huge difference. Instead of my prayers simply being a replay of all that is wrong in my life, I am reminded of how God has continually and faithfully graced my life with good gifts.Over and over and over again.

Yesterday I started a "with thanksgiving" list of those things God did in my life in 2010. I added to the list this morning and I am sure I will continue to make additions to over the next few days. Paul was right, when we pray with thanksgiving, the peace of God guards our heart from anxiety, hopelessness, fear, and other debilitating emotions.

Slowly read these words from Paul in Colossians 4:2 (NAS): "Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving." 

Grace and Peace in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment