Counter

Saturday, January 8, 2011

ANOTHER OMELET DISASTER?


One of the simple joys of life is waking up and making a full breakfast on Saturdays. I have basic cooking skills, though I am much more advanced when it comes to eating. I can make pancakes, waffles, French toast, and different egg dishes. I’m not opposed to having bacon or sausage, and even hash browns. It’s nice to have toast on side, even if it’s just buttered. After many years of Saturday morning breakfasts, I still have a major problem with making omelets. More than once I’ve started out making an omelet and ended up with scrambled eggs. (It is painful to be making such a public confession of my lack of omelet making skills!) Today seemed like an omelet day. I settled on a three-egg omelet, with feta cheese, mushrooms and blended cheese. Everything was going fine until I noticed the omelet wasn’t cooking in the middle. I noticed this when I tried to flip the omelet and it slightly fell apart. I added a lid, in hopes it would cook more thoroughly. I didn’t wind up with scrambled eggs today, which is a minor victory, but I did have to cut the omelet in to two sections because I was worried it wouldn’t cook all the way. The final result was a decent tasting breakfast, even though it definitely lacked something in presentation. Thankfully my stomach doesn’t know the difference. 

Tomorrow at King Mountain I will be talking about spiritual gifts, in the context of God’s vision (Chazown) for our lives. There’s no one who can do everything, but all of us can do something. I may never master omelets, though I will keep trying. Each of us needs to serve the Lord and others with what we can do well, even while continuing to develop in areas where we have shown potential but need more practice. Too often what happens is we get frustrated with ourselves, and our lack of skills, or we compare ourselves to someone with highly developed skills, and we don’t even try. 1 Corinthians 14:1 (NAS) says, “Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts.” The word, earnestly, means “to burn with zeal.” Each of us needs to respond to this challenge from God’s Word through the missionary Paul, and be highly motivated to discover and develop the gifts God has placed within our lives. 

If you live in the Whatcom County area, I hope to see you at King Mountain tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment