Counter

Saturday, February 19, 2011

THE MOST IMPORTANT TRUTH


The comedian Steven Wright, one of my favorites from the past, once said in his typically deadpan style: “I bought batteries and they weren’t included.” He the same guy who cracked: “I have a collection of seashells. I keep them on beaches all around the world.” Wright is definitely an acquired taste but the guy cracks me up. He has a way of commenting on normal, everyday life and stating what should be obvious, but is often overlooked by most people. While not much seems to slip past Wright, as he makes observations about life, there are many people who seem to be oblivious to the really important things.
No one can have perfect awareness of everything, but we need to make sure we don’t miss the most important things. I was thinking today about THE MOST IMPORTANT TRUTH I’ve encountered to this point of my existence. I love truth which says, “God is for us and not against us,” based on Romans 8:31ff. I am always encouraged by the truth, “God is good.” It’s hard to top the truth, “God is love.” What a wide, long, high, and deep statement (Ephesians 3:18). And, if that’s not enough yet, there’s the truth which reminds us of our compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.” (This, or a similar statement, is repeated ten times in the NIV, including this first time in Exodus 34:6).
I am sure I can go on because any attempt to capture the expansive truth of God is a single statement is going to fail. For me, though, today and it could be different tomorrow the most important truth is one which reflects all of the above: “I am fully loved and fully accepted by God.” When I stop to reflect on this truth it is so encouraging to me. It speaks to my insecurities, shouts at my inadequacies and calms my fears. Because this truth is wholly based on who God is and not what I do, it can be a constant source of strength and stability in my life. God’s love isn’t like a thermometer on the wall which reflects every change in temperature: If I am doing good God loves me more and if I am doing not-so-good he loves me less. No, I am fully loved and fully accepted by God.
Some people would argue that such a truth is dangerous because if people really believe they are fully loved and accepted by God they will become lazy and complacent in how they live out their faith. I guess that’s always a possibility, but this is a truth which causes me to go the other way. Because of God’s love and acceptance, my motivation for obeying him is based on love and not fear. I want to take huge steps of faith because I know my failures won’t change how God feels about me. I don’t live my life trying to get God to love me more, you know, because I am such a good guy and all that. My life is about love: God’s love for me and my love for him.
It’s hard to comprehend God’s unconditional love because it’s so dramatically different than the type of love we often encounter in our everyday lives. Have you ever had someone say to you, “I love you but…”? Generally, everything stated before the but is a lie, and what they say after is how they really feel. Maybe we should just respond, “Thank you for your expression of conditional love. Thanks, but no thanks.” I know, that wouldn’t be right, but I’d feel better. God never says, “I love you but…”
The importance of the truth is underscored by the popularity of Kim Walker’s song, ‘Oh, How He Loves Us.” The clip below has been watched by 4,269,640 people on YouTube. If you haven’t heard and seen this video it’s worth checking out. And, while you’re at it, don’t forget this most important truth today: YOU ARE FULLY LOVED AND FULLY ACCEPTED BY GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment