Counter

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

IT HELPS TO SHOW UP EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE

Yesterday I showed up at the health club. I was embarrassed because I signed up ten months ago, and hadn’t been back since. The membership was free (a benefit for being a local pastor), but I’ve been treating the club like some people do church: I’m a member but I just don’t show up very often. Just prior to walking inside I realized I didn’t know the procedures for checking-in, so I was going to have to ask the front desk. I suddenly felt very awkward. I walked to the desk, which suddenly looked more like a confessional. I told the young woman behind the counter, “This is the first time I’ve here, so I don’t know what to do.” Immediately I felt compelled to explain why I’m never at the club (because I play basketball two times a week) and why I am there now (I needed to do a little rehab on a sore left knee). I wondered if when they scanned my membership card, a message flashed on their computer monitor: “This guy never shows up!” The front desk personnel were very cool about everything, but when I reflected on the uneasiness I displayed, I just laughed at myself. Getting familiar with the new equipment was interesting, but for the most part uneventful. I was a little shocked when I turned on the TV connected to my elliptical machine and it came on to the Spanish Playboy Channel. I didn’t even know such a thing existed! The fact that I didn’t know how to turn off the TV, made for minor panic.

My experience at the health club started me thinking about people who so infrequently attend weekend worship gatherings, that when they do show up there’s an awkwardness and embarrassment. They may be worried someone will ask them where they’ve been or the pastor will spot them from the platform and comment how it’s so good to see them after so long. The way I see it, it’s pretty simple, the way to avoid awkwardness and embarrassment at church and the health club is to show up more often.

If you live in Whatcom County, we have a place for you this coming Sunday at King Mountain Church. We meet at 10:00 AM, in case it’s been awhile for you.:) I’m looking forward to starting a new series on the theme: FRIENDS FOR LIFE. Over the Sundays in February and March I want to look closely at how we can help each other experience the life Christ intends for us. I am convinced Christ has more in life, and in many cases much more, for all of us.  

KMC is the place where friends meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment