Counter

Monday, November 28, 2011

CYBER MONDAY IS FOR DISCERNING SHOPPERS


If there was any doubt today is Cyber Monday, my email box confirmed it this morning, with twelve different emails seeking to lure me to purchase everything from electronics to domain names. I found the sale on domain names from Network Solutions to be the oddest offering. Expert types expect online spending to exceed $1 billion dollars today alone. This will be a record for one-day sales. According to Wikipedia, “Cyber Monday” made its debut as a marketing term six-years ago. From debut to $1B in six years isn’t too bad. Just for the fun of it (and likely no one will remember anyway), I predict Cyber Monday sales will hit $2B in 2014, if not sooner. 

The thought bouncing around in my cranium this morning is how new technologies create new opportunities. The dawning of the Internet has created a whole new way of Christmas shopping, one which I favor compared to braving the whole mall scene.  Very few of us will be part of the brainiacs who are creating the new technologies, although if God has given you an innovative idea don’t allow anyone to stop you from developing it. Even if we’re not involved as the inventor and innovator, at the very least we can be part of the group who is learning how to use the new technology to pursue new opportunities. I used to teasingly tell my one of my friend’s he suffered from “techno-lust.” He was, and still is, one of those guys who loves all the gadgets. Now to be fair to him he does use the gadgets as tools in his work, and the true story is I’m jealous of his ability to so quickly learn how to use the new technologies.

I have two thoughts to share with you regarding this idea of new technologies creating new opportunities:

One, the emergence of new technologies is a fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Daniel 12:4 But as for you, Daniel, conceal these words and seal up the book until the end of time; many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase." (NAS) As new technologies are being used to develop the next technologies the increase in knowledge is exponential and explosive. It’s both exciting and scary to be alive right now. It’s exciting because we’re living in times I used to dream about as a child reading Popular Mechanics magazines. It’s scary because the new technologies are sometimes used in very evil and sick ways. Which leads to my second thought…

Two, the new technologies requires us as consumers to choose whether we will acquire a specific technology. The innovations in technology are so vast it requires us to be selective as to what we invite into our lives. It’s possible, especially if you tend to be a person who is attracted to the latest and greatest, for you to get caught in the “web” of technology. When this happens to someone they are driven more by desire than need; this is where the term “techo-lust” could be applied. I really believe we’ve entered a time where we have to be increasingly selective as to what we allow into our lives. There are so many new technologies (I am thinking of innovations in electronic devices, gaming, social sites, and more) discerning disciples of Jesus will have to make hard choices. If not, we risk being lured into time-consuming activities which may take us away from our main mission in life. Even if I can get a great “Cyber Monday” deal, I need to evaluate my purchases of new technology in light their function in helping me to accomplish what God has placed upon my life to do for his kingdom. If you need a question to help with this evaluation process here’s a suggestion: Does this new technology help me to seek first the kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33)? On the surface it may seem like I am suggesting technology can only be used in ministry and never in recreation, and that’s definitely not my intention. I think the biggest deal is we must avoid the traps of technology which keep us from doing what God has called us to do. I love to chill with my iPad and play a little Tiger Woods PGA Tour, but I don’t want any technology to ever distract me from my main mission in life, and we all know it can. This is a good place for 1 Peter 5:8 (NIV) “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Happy Cyber Monday shopping to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment