Counter

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

WHEN THE PAINFUL BECOMES POSITIVE


This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit one of the places where my family lived. Sweet Home, Oregon was and still is small town USA. We lived there for three years and it was there I attended grades 7-9. As I drove through the area memories surged from my sub-conscious. I’ve been through the area several times since we moved away but this time, having an opportunity to attend a service at the Assembly of God church my dad pastored, was different. As I drove by the schools, restaurants, athletic fields, and grocery stores, it became very clear to me how much my 1100 days (give or take a few) in Sweet Home shaped my life.
I’ve known for a long time how significant the early teen years are upon personal development and my experience this weekend supports this idea. With that in mind, I want to share one of the specific memories from this weekend. As I mentioned earlier my dad was the pastor of the Assembly of God church. The church owned a home adjacent to building, which is where our family lived. The junior high was only three blocks away, so I walked to and from school. In the seventh grade I was average height, which meant that there were lots of girls taller than me and the eighth grade boys were definitely taller. (I think I feel a country song coming on, “It’s not easy being short in the seventh grade.”) Something happened early in the school year, which continued for the entire year. One day in September, as I was walking home, an eighth grade boy started following me. I can’t remember his name, so for the sake of the story I’ll just call him “The Jerk,” because that’s what he was. The Jerk started talking to me and taunting me. He figured out that my dad was the pastor of church, because we lived next door, and so he would say things like: “Hey, preacher boy!” and a lot worse. Simply put, I hated it. I had just enough of a temper I would normally have reacted, but The Jerk was quite a bit bigger than me, so I endured the bullying. This happened most days, and as I already mentioned, continued for the whole school year.
After my freshman year our family moved from Sweet Home, but as I continued in high school and grew taller and stronger, I thought about what I do if I lived near The Jerk. There’d no doubt I harbored some serious revenge fantasies. I wouldn’t have been intimidated by his bullying and I doubt that I would have been able to walk away if he started taunting me again.
There is a point to this story, one I realized this weekend. As long as I can remember I’ve had a tendency to root for the underdog. When I see someone suffering some type of injustice and especially someone who is being bullied by another person, I want to immediately come to their defense. My experience with The Jerk, clear back in the seventh grade, has a lot to do with this type of reaction. As weird as it may sound I am thankful the Lord put The Jerk in my life to help me develop more compassion.
Have you had painful experiences in your life that have positively shaped you and contributed to the person you’ve become?  If you’ve experienced bullying, or maybe you’re a student and still experiencing verbally abusive behavior, I want to say to you, “I’m so sorry.” Always remember, “Hurt people hurt people.” The Jerk, in your life, is messed up in their mind. Don’t stoop to their level by reacting and responding to what they say to you and about you. Jesus can and will make you stronger than your enemies. I encourage you to read the prayer in Psalm 25, with a specific focus on verse 20: “Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.” My hope for you is that you will see the painful become positive in your life today!
Note: If you’ve experienced the verbally abusive behavior of a bully (as a student or even as an adult) and would like to share your story with me, email me at: markbryanrobinson@gmail.com. It will be my privilege to pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment