Counter

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DO YOU NEED A MONDAY MAKEOVER?


Yesterday morning my wife had to tell me my alarm radio was playing I was sleeping so hard when it went off. That’s what I get for sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday. It seems like a lot of people aren’t big fans of Mondays. For most people, given over 80% of Americans work Monday through Friday, the alarm on Monday morning means it’s time to get out of bed and get to work. I did a quick Google search and it triggered my memory about all the songs that have been written about Mondays. I think it’s possible more songs have been written about Monday than any other day of the week.

Steve Azur, in his song “I Don’t Have To Be Me ‘til Monday,” expresses the attitude I’m guessing a lot of people have about Mondays: “I can do what I wanna do, be who I wanna be; I got no one to answer to, soon as I turn the key.” The chorus follows with “I don’t have to be me ‘til Monday; Friday, Saturday, Sunday, I ain’t gonna face reality.” This is the basic thought that weekends are freedom and weekdays are owned by work. It’s a pretty depressing perspective if you think about it too long.
After Eve and Adam sinned God pronounced curses upon women and men. One of these curses is found in Genesis 3:17, and is specifically directed towards men: “All your life you will struggle to scratch a living from it (meaning the ground).” (NLT) When people are dominated by the curse of sin Mondays are a struggle (along with every work day). For those who choose to follow Christ, he redeems our Mondays (along with every other day) and gives us the ability to rise above the curse to live in the Father’s favor.
If you’re a Christ follower and Monday is the beginning of your workweek, I have several thoughts for you:
One, express thanks to God for giving you a job and a way to provide for your financial needs;
Two, if you sometimes struggle to have a good attitude about your work start asking God to show you his greater purpose. It’s no accident you work where you do. All day long you are coming into contact with people, other employees and customers. You’ve never locked eyes with someone who isn’t deeply loved by God. And this God of love desires to draw all of us into a more meaningful life. God has you in your current place of employment because He has a mission for you.
Work is more than a way for you to make money. I will continue this thought in my next post…

No comments:

Post a Comment