Counter

Friday, July 1, 2011

MORE GRACE


In my previous blog (June 27) the theme was: WHEN GRACE IS INSULTED. To recap, grace is insulted when we remain unchanged by the goodness and favor of God. Instead of change, grace becomes an excuse to “go on sinning” (Hebrews 10:26). It’s not hard to imagine why God would find this response to grace so insulting. When Moses encountered the Lord in Exodus 34, how He chose to reveal himself is so very important. Arriving via a pillar of cloud, He announced his arrival, “the LORD.” (V5) Shoot, I sometimes get startled when Anita walks through the front door and says, “I’m home!” I can’t imagine my reaction if the fog started talking to me. Notice what the Lord said to Moses: “I am the LORD, I am the LORD, the merciful and gracious God. I am slow to anger and rich in unfailing love and faithfulness. 7 I show this unfailing love to many thousands by forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. Even so I do not leave sin unpunished, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations." (VS6-7 NLT) The Lord is revealing to Moses: “This is who I am. This is how I deal with people.” Given the incomplete understanding of God which seems so prevalent in our culture, it makes this revelation extremely important. 

As I am writing this I just had a flashback to my childhood, which brought a smile to my face. I have a younger sister, Cheryl, and part of my mission in life was to tease her. I mean, isn’t that what brothers are for? Of course, I wasn’t entirely adverse to being annoying to my older brother and sister, or anyone else, for that matter. So, one of the things which I sometimes heard from my parents was: “Don’t push it, Mark!” This was an indication I’d gone as far as I could go without getting myself in big or bigger trouble. It was time to change my behavior, or it would be changed for me. I think God deals with all of us in a similar way. We’re not walking in complete obedience to Him, and we know it, but we lack the desire and discipline to change. In the mean time, God is merciful, gracious, slow to anger, loving and even faithful when we’re not (2 Timothy 2:13). But, if we’re wise, again, if we’re wise, we won’t push it too much longer. God’s actions towards us are not his approval. The fact that we haven’t suffered serious consequences for our sinful behavior doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Grace is being extended towards us so we’ll make the decision to repent (commit to life change). Don’t misunderstand the Lord’s patience with you.

In John 1:16 we find what I believe is among the most beautiful phrases in the New Testament: “For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace.” (NAS) I am so thankful today for MORE GRACE: ”…grace upon grace.” As Leighton Ford said: “God loves us the way we are, but too much to leave us that way.” Friend, in Christ, you are fully loved and fully accepted. As the Lord directs “grace upon grace” towards you today, continue to grow in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment