Counter

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

CHOOSING YOUR WORDS

I woke up this morning thinking about words and the impact a single word or a few words can make. It used to be said that a high percentage of communication was non-verbal, so what we say through our body language, tone of voice, etc. Given the emergence of email, texting, and all of the different social medias, communication has changed significantly over the past decade. With the exception of using ALL CAPS to denote shouting your message to someone, I am not aware of any techniques for communicating non-verbally. As far as I know, no one has figured out how to text someone a “stink eye” or an angry stare. IMHO, the smiley face is way overdone in our new high-tech world. I’m at a loss as to how someone can indicate a passive-aggressive posture (slouching?) via email or text, communicating to another person, “I don’t give a rip about you, (on the outside), but if you give me a chance I’ll gouge your eyes out (on the inside).” 

In a world which is increasingly limited to words, the words we use are more important than ever. The comedian George Carlin said: “’I am’ is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that ‘I do’ is the longest sentence?” I am performing two weddings this coming weekend, so if either or both couples are reading today’s blog, ignore what George said. You will live happily ever after! 

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve had the job of reviewing hundreds of pages of legal documents. Can you say, “Way too many words?” In the process I’ve reflected more than once on the words of Jesus (yes, King Mountain peeps, this is in the RED) where he states: Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. (Matthew 5:37 NIV) Have you noticed that some people have great difficulty in giving a straight up answer to a question? They’re evasive and non-committal, which makes it impossible to clearly determine what’s actually being said. With the 2012 presidential campaign looming, we’ll hear plenty of politicians who are experts at promising everything and nothing at the same time.  

Pythagoras, the Greek philosopher, said: “The oldest, shortest words – ‘yes’ and ‘no’ – are those which require the most thought.” I think I get what Pythagoras is saying, though I did take philosophy as a 7:30 AM winter quarter class from Dr. Pope (for all the Northwest U alumni), so I may have missed some of the lectures because I was only half awake. To challenge Pythagoras (it’s always safest to argue with dead people. Just sayin’) for a moment, it seems like when we think too much about our answers, it gives us the opportunity to make excuses, misrepresent the truth or communicate what we actually feel. This is a good time to remind ourselves of the proverb: “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.” (Proverbs 10:19 NIV) I’d like to recommended that Facebook designers make that verse part of the logo, so everyone see’s it before they post on their own or someone else’s wall.

At the risk of becoming too wordy with today’s blog posting, let me conclude my thoughts with more of the words of Jesus: “I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.” (Matthew 12:36 NIV) As is my style (I blame in on the teaching gifting), I want to go deeper into the definition of the word, CARELESS, in my next post. Until then, watch your words!

No comments:

Post a Comment