Counter

Monday, March 14, 2011

THE CRINGE FACTOR


In my Bible study last week I came across a verse which I haven’t reflected upon for awhile. It’s one of those verses which seems like it may be more relevant than ever. Ephesians 5:12 (NIV) says: For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.” The first word from this verse which gets my attention is shameful. When I was very young, my mom frequently used this word when correcting the Robinson kids. Not me, of course, my brother and two sisters. Sometimes she would say, usually with a finger wagging in our direction, “For shame, for shame.” I’m not sure the significance of repeating the “for shame” but that’s the way I remember it.:) Other times she would say, “I am ashamed of you” or the shortened version, “Shame on you.” To disobey to the level it would provoke my mom to invoke “shame” as a form of correction, was serious stuff. 

In our current culture, shame is nearly non-existent. If TV news followed Ephesians 5:12 there wouldn’t be much left to report. It’s often a barrage of garbage. The Greek word Paul uses here for “shameful” (disgraceful in the NAS) means: “filthy, baseness, dishonor.” Paul is referring to the CONDUCT and CONVERSATION of Christ followers. 

What is your CRINGE FACTOR? What causes you to become embarrassed and turn red? Some of the things I see on Facebook definitely make me cringe. Sometimes it doesn’t seem to matter if someone has indicated in their profile whether they’re a Christian or an atheist. Some people proudly declare, “Nothing embarrasses me anymore.” That’s not something to be proud of. Shame on you!

This verse suggests a standard in the conduct and conversation of Christ followers where we refuse “even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.” If we disregard this standard, it’s shame on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment