Counter

Monday, March 23, 2015

LESSONS FROM CYCLING, Part Three

There’s a fourth option to explain where you may find yourself in the ride of life: PAUSE
Before, during, and after a long ride there needs to be space [margin] for PAUSE. A pause is a time to fuel and re-fuel.
Lesson #3: Proper FUEL for the ride is extremely important.
Recently I decided to do a birthday ride of 55 miles on my 55th. I had prepared well by riding over 200 miles during the four weeks for this birthday ride. I enjoyed carbo loading the night before, with a great meal of spaghetti and homemade meatballs. While riding, I consumed an energy bar, banana, and alternated between water and an energy drink to stay hydrated. Despite all these efforts at about mile 48 I experienced severe cramping in my right leg, to the point I couldn’t bend it at the knee. My cell phone had died so calling my wife to pick me up wasn’t an option. I walked my bike for about 100 yards and slowly the leg started to relax. I decided to slow down my pace and see if I could finish the last seven miles. Thankfully I was able to get home and achieve my 55-mile goal.
This experience reminded me of the importance of proper fuel before, during, and after a ride. In this spiritual ride called life, we need copious amount of water [Spirit] and carbohydrates [Word]. It is the empowering of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, which will give us the strength for life.
When you don’t know what else to do FUEL UP! If we don’t fuel up, we run the risk of cramping up. In this context, cramping up represents reaching the point in the ride where we give up short of achieving our goal, or struggling to the degree we’re overcome by discouragement and disappointment.
Regardless of the stage you find yourself in today, PATIENCE will be required. Life isn’t a sprint, it’s a century ride (100-mile).
The Bible writers remind us of the importance of patience and endurance.
Lesson #4: Prepare to be patient

2 Peter 2:6-8 NLT “Knowing God leads to self-control. Self-control leads to patient endurance, and patient endurance leads to godliness. 7 Godliness leads to love for other Christians, and finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone. 8 The more you grow like this, the more you will become productive and useful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
2 Corinthians 6:4 NLT “In everything we do we try to show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind.”
2 Corinthians 12:10 NLT “Since I know it is all for Christ's good, I am quite content with my weaknesses and with insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

My lessons from Cycling:
  • Accidents Happen
  • Understand Momentum
  • Have a Plan
  • Fuel Up Frequently (fuel up or cramp up)
  • Prepare to be Patient

No comments:

Post a Comment