Counter

Monday, September 10, 2012

HUNGER IS NOT A GAME


Recently I’ve been intentionally working to change some things about my diet. Earlier this summer my wife and I were fortunate to be able to go on an 8-day Caribbean cruise. This was my first adventure on the high seas and everything I had ever heard about the massive spread of food 24/7 was true on the Carnival Valor. I restrained myself from totally gorging myself at every meal, but mostly tried to counter my appetite by making sure I exercised every day. I may have gained a few pounds, but not much by taking this approach.
The problem was AFTER I returned from vacation. My appetite was used to three meals a day plus snacks and I was back to my office where most of the time I was sitting behind a desk. It seemed like I approached every meal like it was “the last supper.” Even though it’s still summertime, when my weight is usually at it’s lowest level of the year, I noticed my clothing was become tighter. My weight has been pretty consistent over the past fifteen years, so I notice when I add a few lbs.
It’s been said that a person will go on a diet “when they’re thick and tired of it.” For me the first things to go were milk products. I’ve noticed I feel better when I limited my consumption of milk and cheese. I may even have a slight lactose intolerance. This is a hard one for me because I’ve always enjoyed dairy products, but I enjoy being healthy more. That’s a key right there isn’t it? When it comes to the foods we consume (both quantity and variety), we have to value health more than anything.
I noticed something significant as I began to limit dairy in my life. The “craving” for a tall glass of milk late in the evening, or a slice of cheese, or bowl of cereal, first diminished and then completely disappeared. Our habits change as we establish new habits. The things we “crave” may or may not be leading us to a place of health or a better life, but we have the power to change.
I’m now reaping the benefits of the recent changes in my diet. I feel better. My weight is the lowest it’s been in a year. In my next post I want to shift the subject to the things in our life we are hungering and thirsting for. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment