Counter

Monday, March 19, 2012

ASKING FOR FRUIT AND FAVOR

For the last 24 hours I’ve been reflecting on the words of Jesus in John 15. If you’re a new follower of Jesus, the Book of John is a great place to start in reading the Bible because it contains the words of Jesus and his story in a clear and powerful way. In verses 7-8 (New Living Translation) Jesus makes the following statement:  “But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted! 8 My true disciples produce much fruit. This brings great glory to my Father.”

One of the first things which captures my attention are the words, “My true disciples produce much fruit.” “Much” is a word of quantity, so Jesus is saying that disciples produce fruit in QUANTITY. As followers of Jesus we can expect that Jesus will multiply and magnify our obedience to produce “much fruit.”

Did you see where Jesus said, “…you may ask”? This is a reference to the requests or prayers we offer to Him. I’ve discovered that my prayers are a window to my faith. When my faith is strong and healthy, it impacts my asking. So, here are several questions for you:

What are you asking?          What are you expecting?
Are you expecting what you’re asking?

If the level of your faith is weak or has been wavering recently, I want you to see what Jesus says in V16: “You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.” The invitation to ask is accompanied by a reminder that Jesus Christ has chosen us! It’s a mind-blowing thing to consider that the Father has invited and included us in his plan to heal the world. He’s calling and sending, as well as giving us the spiritual authority, to bring hope and healing to the least and the lost. As we go, we can expect “fruit that will last.” This is fruit in QUALITY. When we stay connected and obedient to Christ, the result is fruitfulness in QUANTITY and QUALITY. The mission statement of the church where I serve LIFE CHURCH Bayside (Bellingham, Washington) is: Making More and Better Disciples of Jesus Christ. We desire to see the kind of fruit Jesus speaks about in John 15.

My church family is in an exciting time. We recently adopted a new name, moved to a new location (in a newly remodeled building) and are implementing a new ministry focus. In the last week our church’s Facebook page was vied over 3,000 times. For the first time in 13 years we have the ministry dollars to invest in connecting with our mission field. Recently, my father (Pastor Pike Robinson) reminded me of the “Prayer of Jabez.” He said he felt like it was a prayer for LIFE CHURCH Bayside. I listened, but didn’t immediately responded to his suggestion. Yesterday, I was reminded of my father’s wise words and I share them with our church last night. He’s what is written about Jabez in 1 Chronicles 4 and his prayer: There was a man named Jabez who was more distinguished than any of his brothers. His mother named him Jabez because his birth had been so painful. 10 He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and extend my lands (NKJV/NIV “enlarge my territory”) ! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!’" And God granted him his request. (1 Chronicles 4:9-10 NLT)

Personally, I think that’s a great prayer. I believe it’s the kind of prayer which fits the kind of faith and fruitfulness Jesus envisioned in John 15. I encourage you to pray this prayer with your personal mission and your church home in mind. I will close by repeating the three questions I suggested earlier:

What are you asking?          What are you expecting?   
 Are you expecting what you’re asking?

No comments:

Post a Comment