Counter

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!


It happened again yesterday. Someone, this time a person from Illinois, conducted an Internet search and found my blog. I have a software program which shows page load activity and if someone finds my blog through a search it indicates the key words they used to do so. By far, the number one search which directs people to my blog is related to God hating sin. The words used in yesterday’s Google search were: why does God hate sin so much. This is the exact title of my blog post on June 13, 2011: WHY DOES GOD HATE SIN SO MUCH? 

If my modest blog is any indication there’s a significant degree of interest in the topic of God’s hatred of sin. When I see someone has found my blog through a search, it often causes me to pause to think about them: What’s going on it their life which has prompted their search? Are they experiencing spiritual brokenness, the conviction of the Holy Spirit or some level of emotional pain? Did my words help them and provide the answers they were looking for?

In our post-modern world, where absolute truth has been assaulted and set aside by so many, I believe there’s remains a large segment of our fellow Americans who understand in the core of their being the biblical definition of sin. They know there are many actions and attitudes which are not only displeasing and disgusting to God, but are dangerous and damaging on a personal level. What seems to happen is, when doing the right thing [righteousness] conflicts with what a person wants to do the commandments of God become inconvenient and the definition of “sin” temporarily gets fuzzy. Come to think of it, I don’t even hear the word, COMMANDMENT, being used with frequency in our world today. It’s like the Bible has been reduced to a book of suggestions or good ideas. It’s at about this same time people start saying things like: “God wants me to be happy”; “God understands me”; “God made me this way”; “I know it’s wrong, but I’m not hurting anyone”; “When compared to sins of others, what I’m doing is not that bad”; “Deep down I’m a good person”; or, here’s a popular one, “Hey, I never said I was perfect.” It’s amazing how, when we’re attempting to excuse our sin and explain our disobedience, these kinds of statements make sense to us.

In Psalm 51:3 (NIV) David said: For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. David knew what he’d done was wrong. You know and I know when things in our life are not right and we’re not in a good place, spiritually speaking. For those of you who are familiar with David’s story, you may have just said to yourself: “At least I haven’t committed adultery and murder like David!” Oh, the games we play when we seek to excuse our sin.

The only way to experience a clean heart and conscience is to confess our sin to God and accept his forgiveness. After David finally repented of his sin, he experienced this amazing forgiveness and wrote: (Psalm 103:8-14 NIV) The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; 12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. 13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; 14 for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.” There’s complete forgiveness and cleansing available today, right now, for those who agree with God’s definition of sin and choose the path of confession and repentance. I hope you’ll take God up on his offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment