Counter

Friday, October 28, 2011

STARBUCKS AND PEOPLE OF THE SPIRIT


Four or five mornings a week, I start my day in a local café. I’m an equal opportunity coffee drinker, so it may be Starbucks or our local chain, The Woods. This became my practice when I was in grad school and I had lots of reading to do. I found the café environment to be very conducive to reading and writing papers. Even though I completed school in May 2010, I've continued to make my way to a café in the mornings. From its humble beginnings at 2000 Western Avenue in Seattle, Starbucks has expanded to 11,000 stores in the USA and a total of over 17,000 worldwide. 

I’m writing this blog today from one of the eleven or so Starbucks in the Bellingham city limits. When Howard Schultz began to lead Starbucks in a major expansion in 1987, I doubt he was thinking the company would become one of the more indentified brands in North America. Starbucks created a whole new niche in the restaurant/café market. I’d love to ask Schultz a few questions. One of the questions is: “What made you think that people would pay $4 for a cup of coffee and sit for an hour (or two or three) in a café?” The closest thing to a Starbucks-type cafe, and I’m not the first to suggest this comparison, is a neighborhood bar. Starbucks, and the host of other small chains and local cafes which have sprung up in many cities, have become a place where people have talk with work associates and share a drink with friends. I know Schultz likes to refer to Starbucks as a “third place” in people’s lives: Home, Work and Starbucks. Based on history, no one could have predicted or expected Starbucks to experience the success they have.

I was talking to a friend this week. I shared with him something of a pet peeve of mine: I frequently encounter people who claim to embrace the ministry of the Holy Spirit, yet the most creative idea they ever have is to do what they’ve always done. In the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, we have God who formed all of creation; the variety, the beauty, the colors, the vastness, etc. To me it is sad when people of the Spirit get locked into a mode where they no longer expect the creative activity and insight of God to be active in their lives.

I don’t know anything about Howard Schultz’ spiritual life, but I can appreciate the fact that he envisioned something which, for the most part, hadn’t previously existed in our communities. I wonder what would happen if more people would choose to be open to the creative possibilities and opportunities the Holy Spirit has in mind for their church and community? I’m thinking of people who are willing to forge new paths which lead towards things which have never before been done, either by them or possibly by anyone.

What keeps us from expecting the creative power of the Holy Spirit to be released in our lives? Is it fear of failure? Do we allow Satan to play upon our insecurities, while he torments us with accusing questions: “Who do you think you are?” Is our desire for comfort and security so strong in our lives, we avoid anything and everything which may cause us to become uncomfortable? Do we allow the haters to quench the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives?

On Sunday (October 30) at King Mountain Church we have a guest missionary, Jeremy Postal. I connected with Jeremy this summer, and I’ve been inspired by his vision to be on mission in Whistler, BC. There’s a long list of reasons why you never hear of missionaries serving in Whistler: it’s too expensive; the population is too transient; there’s too much partying; it’s too spiritually dark (I think it’s like 1% Christian); others have tried and failed; etc. One of the things I love about Jeremy is none of these “reasons” have prevented him from responding to the call of the Spirit to “go” to Whistler. 

Let me close with this challenge to you and to me: If we find the path and plans we’re currently following never lead us to “new” opportunities to serve the Lord, we can be certain we’re not being led by the Spirit. These new opportunities will lead us to new PLACES, new PEOPLE, and new PLANS. 

It’s time for people of the Spirit to be people of the Spirit, and to open up their hearts to what He desires to do in and through their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment