Counter

Saturday, August 27, 2011

YOUR STRUGGLE IS BECOMING YOUR STORY


On August 21 I started unpacking Hebrews 12:8-18 through a series of blog posts. So far there have been three posts: LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES, August 21; GOD ISN’T PUNISHING YOU, HE’S PREPARING YOU!, August 22; and WHEN EVERYTHING BLOWS UP IN OUR FACE, August 24. In today’s post I want to look at VS12-13: (New Living Translation) So take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. 13 Mark out a straight path for your feet. Then those who follow you, though they are weak and lame, will not stumble and fall but will become strong.” These two verses offer very practical help for dealing with the Father’s discipline, whether it’s for the purpose of PUNISHMENT or PREPARATION. 

Unless your life is dominated by sinful disobedience and a rebellious attitude towards God, it’s most likely that the discipline you’re experiencing is for the purpose of preparation. God is using all of the suffering [pain] and setbacks in your life to make you stronger. “Suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.” (Romans 5:3-4 NIV) Yesterday I had the opportunity to talk to a mom with three young children who is going through a horrendous nightmare. I reminded her she had been through many hard things in her life and she had come through those difficulties, some of which were life-threatening. Then I told her all of those hard things had prepared her for going through what will be her most difficult battle; and with the help of Christ she will get through what she is facing right now. My counsel to her was to constantly repeat the encouragement from Philippians 4:13 (NIV) “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

There comes a time in the struggle when you and I have make a determined decision we’re going to survive and become stronger. V12 speaks of taking a “new grip” even while were still in a weak place. Where do you place your grip when life is hard? Personally, I ‘grip’ the promises of God’s Word. I find verses in the Bible which remind me of God’s faithfulness; verses which refer to HOPE, PEACE, POWER, THE PRESENCE/PROTECTION OF GOD, etc.  I ‘grip’ God’s character. Everything I’ve ever learned about God speaks of his goodness. The Father is for me and not against me. He loves me and never leaves me. 

Somewhere along the way, in taking a new grip, I have to stop thinking like a loser or a victim. I’ve never found it to be helpful to stay stuck in a place of despair and hopelessness. Holding on to thoughts that everything is going wrong and there’s nothing which can be done to change things, has NEVER helped me when life is hard. The victim mentality has never inspired me to a renewed sense of hope things can change, and I am pretty sure it won’t help you. So, we have to stop ourselves from thinking we’re losing the fight.

What the writer of Hebrews says in V13 almost doesn’t make sense. He’s directing his words to someone with “tired hands” and “shaky legs.” Sounds like someone who’s on the verge of falling down, someone who’s closer to giving up than winning the battle. V13 again reads: “Mark out a straight path for your feet. Then those who follow you, though they are weak and lame, will not stumble and fall but will become strong.” The Bible frequently uses the metaphor of God’s people (followers of Jesus) on a PATH. In my recall and reflection on those references OBEDIENCE is what keeps a person on the right path. Staying on the PATH is choosing to following God’s plans, rather than choosing to do what we want. When you and I are in an intense battle it’s time to become very focused. We need to eliminate distractions, all of the unnecessary things which require our time and attention, but won’t help us win the battle. Distractions also keep us from spending the extra time we need for meditating on God’s Word and in worship and prayer. As I think about a “straight path for (my) feet”, I see the need to identify what’s most important in my life, and devote myself to those things. When everything is going smoothly in our lives, most of us devote large amounts of our time and attention to activities which are nice, but not necessary. We need to do what’s going to help us get through the battle.

It’s the last part of V13 which is so unexpected. The writer of Hebrews is directing his words to people who are experiencing the discipline of a loving God, but have been temporarily weakened in the process. While fighting to stand on shaky legs, get a new grip on God, and to walk a straight path, the writer suggests how you and I handle discipline will provide hope and inspiration to those who are watching our lives. Your struggle is becoming your story and your story will strengthen others. 

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment